Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Reflection!


For me, this class gave me more confidence as a writer. At the start of this class, I was completely nervous about the final paper that was required at the end of course. Throughout the quarter, I was able to gain the skills to produce a good paper. Learning how to write to your audience was one of the most helpful parts of the class for me. Knowing who you are writing to, helps you know what to write and how to write it. Another thing I found helpful was the day we spent in the library learning how to search for academic articles. I have always been curious to discover a way to find academic, peer reviewed articles. So I know that this is one thing that I will definitely use in the future.

In this class, I also learned why it is important to have all of your claims backed up. It makes since why you need to do it out loud, but actually doing it in my paper was another story. I really enjoyed how to actually write a summary. Everyone says they know how to summarize something and I thought I did too. This class made me realize what components actually go into a summary and why it is so important.

As I reflect upon my research, I am a little disappointed in myself. I had another crazy class this quarter that took up all my free time so I didnt spend as much time as I would have liked on certain parts in this class. I feel as though I did get a lot of research and I was very excited about my topic because I am a nursing major and I thought that maybe this is something that I might have to do in my later career so why not learn about it? I would have liked to spend more time on actually writing my final paper. I was impressed with how many articles I was able to gather for my research. I am usually the person who has the hardest time finding enough research for my papers. I am also very pleased with the quality of each of these resources. When I do normally find stuff, it usually has nothing to do with my actual paper. This is the part of the class that I enjoyed the most.

Overall, I would say that I learned some major writing skills. I learned how to write to my ideal audience and also why that it so important. I also discovered how to locate articles that are peer-reviewed and scholarly and why finding these types of article are important. I also learned how to actually summarize an article or movie and why it is important to summarize the correct way. I feel as though these skills will carry me throughout my life and I am happy that I was able gain these skills in this class this quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment