Monday, April 23, 2012

MTV Exit


MTVExit
On the website MTVExit, they advocate for the victims of human trafficking. As I look over the website and the four subtopics under human trafficking; what is trafficking, the exploited, traffickers, and combating traffickers, I got a general understanding of what the website was about and what they are trying to get across as an organization.
First off, MTVExit is a campaign that believes in the human right of freedom and it raises awareness of human trafficking that happens around the world today, and to get to the end goal of eliminating human trafficking.

 MTVExit describes the victims as women, men, and children from all backgrounds and countries who get lured by the traffickers. The traffickers offer an ideal lifestyle so most of the victims think they are going into a trustworthy situation. The victims are then forced to do horrible things such as, prostitution, forced labor, criminal activity, and other things of violent nature. Most of the victims are threatened with their lives or the lives of their loved ones, so they have no way out.

The website also discusses what can be done to take action against human trafficking. There are special police units whose primary duty is to patrol areas of heavy trafficking and go undercover to bust human trafficking operations. There are also different organizations that offer support for families that have been affected by human trafficking.

The website as a whole did offer some background on human trafficking, but overall I dislike the website. Personally, I feel as though when you are advocating for others, the first thing you should see when you open the webpage, is information on who you are advocating. This website seemed to be informing the public which band was headlining a concert for them rather than telling the public what human trafficking is all about. It seemed as though I had to click different links and search for background on trafficking. I also noticed that the website was very “busy”. I was trying to read a section of the website, but I kept getting distracted with everything else that was flashing around the website. I feel as though they introduced the topic of human trafficking to me, but I didn’t get a full understanding. However, once I found the information I was looking for, I was able to get some background. All in all, the website did have some good information, not enough, but some.

No comments:

Post a Comment